The framework of ISP as design tool has been firstly explored in  for the design of variable dielectric profile antennas. Starting from that feasibility study, in  a totally new and innovative tool is proposed for designing artificial materials (AM) based dielectric lens antennas by means of a modified contrast source inversion (CSI) method. To this aim, a convenient representation of the unknown is introduced and a smart procedure based on the scattering coefficients is proposed to deal with graded-index AM with both a gradient in the permittivity and in the inclusions’ dimension. The optimal design of primary sources is pursued at the same time. To overcome basic computational limitations of the CSI-based design approach, the design of AM-based dielectric lenses is deal with in  with a novel design tool based on the scattering matrices concept. This tool is adopted to design EBG guiding devices in , . Finally, the concept of scattering matrices is exploited in ,  to develop a more convenient scattering model allowing for a reduction of the computation burden in the evaluation of the field scattered by a random set of cylindrical inclusions.
- O. M. Bucci, I. Catapano, L. Crocco, and T. Isernia, “Synthesis of new variable dielectric profile antennas via inverse scattering techniques: a feasibility study,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1287-1297, 2005. [click here]
- L. Crocco, F. Cuomo, and T. Isernia, “Improved scattering matrix method for the analysis of two‐dimensional PBG devices,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2564-2570, 2006. [click here]
- L. Crocco, F. Cuomo, and T. Isernia, “Generalized scattering-matrix method for the analysis of two-dimensional photonic bandgap devices,” JOSA A, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. A12-A22, 2007. [click here]
- R. Palmeri, M. T. Bevacqua, A. F. Morabito and T. Isernia, “Design of Artificial-Materials-Based Antennas Using Inverse Scattering Techniques,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 7076-7090, 2018. [click here]
- R. Palmeri and T. Isernia, “Inverse design of artificial materials based lens antennas through the scattering matrix method,” Electronics, vol. 9, no. 4, p. 559, 2020. [click here]
- R. Palmeri and T. Isernia, “Scattering Matrices As A Paradigm for Artificial Materials based Devices Synthesis,” In Proceedings of IEEE International Congress on Artificial Materials for Novel Wave Phenomena (Metamaterials), pp. 412-414, 2020. [click here]
- R. Palmeri and T. Isernia, “Inverse design of EBG waveguides through scattering matrices,” EPJ Applied Metamaterials, vol. 7, no. 10, 2020. [click here]